17 Days of Foodie Jubilee – Dine Out Vancouver

Joan Storlund (left) and Dana Peterson (right) celebrate Dana's birthday during Dine Out.

Joan Storlund (left) and Dana Peterson (right) celebrate Dana’s birthday during Dine Out. Photo By Ali Crane

Vancouver foodies are rejoicing now that Dine Out Vancouver, the largest restaurant festival in the country has returned.

Dine Out is a 17-day gastronomic celebration with over 200 participating restaurants around the city. Restaurants offer three course set menus at $18, $28, and $38 per person, giving the opportunity for Vancouverites to try out new joints at a fair price.

Tourism Vancouver’s spokesperson Amber Sessions said Dine Out was created to solve the decline in business after the holiday season. It’s the first of its kind in Canada, starting out with 57 participanting restaurants back in 2003.

“It’s two weeks of Christmas all over again,” said manager of Seasons in the Park restaurant Richard Baker.

“The same thing you pay for a three course meal, you’re paying for an entrée at most places,” Baker said. “It gives you a chance to enjoy a dining experience at any restaurant that is perhaps out of your reach on a regular basis.”

Jason Zeng, founder of the Langara Foodie Club is thrilled about the opportunity for students to enjoy a fine dining experience on a student budget.

“It’s a good way to try out new dishes. You can have a better time with a bunch of friends,” said Zeng.

wine and horizon

“Usually if you go out it will cost around $80 to $100. Now they have $38 for all of it. Although it is a smaller portion, it is great to try all of the dishes at once,” .

Students can find more information on the Langara Foodie Club by searching the name on Facebook. Organizers said reservations for Dine Out should be made at least a week ahead by phone. It can also be made at OpenTable.com or DineOutVancouver.com.

You can check out the Dine Out website here.

Advertisements

Woman Attacked on Granville Street

Charges have been laid in the case of the woman who was sexually assaulted on the 900 block of Granville Street last week.

Dustin Burwood, a 26-year-old Vancouver man was arrested on Saturday and has now been charged for sexual assault causing bodily harm.

Around 3 a.m. last Saturday night the 25-year-old woman was waiting at the bus stop in the 600 block of Smithe Street when she was grabbed and carried into the east lane of the 900 block of Granville Street and sexually assaulted.

The woman fought back and witnesses intervened after hearing her screams.

The attacker ran away and attempted to flee in a number of taxis but was refused service. He then fled north on Granville Street.

The victim was taken to a hospital by paramedics and treated for injuries to the face, back, and leg.

“This was a very traumatic situation, but she managed to do what was necessary to protect herself,” stated Detective Const. Lorena Anderson of the Vancouver Police Sex Crimes Unit.

Police were able to obtain a photograph of the suspect in the assault. Investigators were then able to pen down a name, which led them to Burwood.

Burwood remains in custody until his next court appearance on February 7th at 9:30 a.m. in Provincial Court.